Top 10 Smartphone Apps for Spiritual Growth
Using Your Smartphone for Godliness
Can a smartphone make you more like Jesus? No, there's no app for that. Your smartphone can be a gateway for temptation and sin, but it could also be a tool for spiritual growth. Here are some tips for sanctifying your smartphone, followed by my top 10 apps for spiritual growth:
Be Accountable: sin grows in the darkness, but it dies when exposed. When we hide our sin, it often gets worse, but when we humbly confess our sin, we find mercy (James 5:16; Proverbs 28:13; 1 John 1:9). Find someone you respect and ask them to keep you accountable for your smartphone usage. Temptation was removed when I asked Aaron to change my passcode for the browser. All of my computers have multiple filters that generate browsing logs that are sent to accountability partners. I've found that godly accountability lessens the impact of temptation.
Be Transparent: If you are struggling with temptation on your phone, you likely clear the history, delete texts and messages, and never let anyone look through your phone. To redeem your smartphone usage, start being more transparent. Allow others to have access to your phone. If your spouse, kids, and godly friends have access to your phone you might find more motivation to be pure with your phone.
Be Disciplined: 1 Timothy 4:7-8 - "Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way..." If you take a training mentality, your smartphone becomes a great tool for redeeming the time. You can use deadtime in your schedule for godly purposes! Use drive-time to listen to sermons and waiting time to memorize scripture. Use your spare time in a disciplined way, because all of those little minutes add up to either sinfulness, distraction, or godliness! (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)
Top 10 Spiritual Growth Apps
1. Prayer Wall Plus: MY FAVORITE APP! People post a prayer request, you pray - it's that simple!
2. ESV Bible: my go-to app for anytime bible reading and research
3. YouVersion Bible: the perfect app for keeping track of your daily bible reading schedule
4. Fighter Verse (and Verse Minder): EXCELLENT apps for memorizing scripture!
5. Sermon Apps: Mars Hill, Southern Seminary, Grace to You: try to listen to a sermon a day!
6. I Am Second: all the great video content, plus helps for IA2 small groups
7. One Verse: a simple gospel presentation
8. The Story: an excellent gospel presentation
9. Every Home for Christ: perfect for family devotions and praying for missionaries around the world.
10. GM28: Living Waters gospel presentation
What are your favorite apps for spiritual growth?